Sunday, February 23, 2014

Early Literacy Challenge 1: Reading Eric Carle

For a year, I am going to attempt posting 365 early literacy activities I do at home with my kids (one for every day of the year). Since I am obsessed with early literacy at home and work, it seems like we are doing it non-stop, so I am hoping to get a lot of blogging done. My husband is reading 365 books this year as his challenge, so this is going to be my 365 day challenge. Mine will end on February 23, 2015 instead of December 31st (my husband's last day for his challenge). I may not post every day, but I will make up for it with more than one post on other days. Here I go...

Book CoverThis morning I sat on the floor reading Eric Carle's Very Busy Spider with my 18 month old, M. She has loved this book for a couple of months. We read the book and she repeated some of the animal sounds. Before she lost interest, I was able to sing three songs that tie into the book and use the book as a visual while I sang to her. We started on the last page and moved backwards through the book, singing a song or part of a song for each illustration.

Song: Itsy Bitsy Spider

Song: Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star

For all the other pages of the book, starting with the owl, I sang Old MacDonald Had a Farm while we turned the pages backwards. I pointed to the animal while I sang the song for each one.

It was a great bonding experience for M and me. She sat in my lap, we read the book, did the sounds, sang the songs, and I didn't spend any money (yay!). At most, it all took about 10 minutes.

Every Child Ready to Read Early Literacy Practices: READ, SING & TALK
Early Literacy Skills: phonological awareness, print motivation, fine motor skills (turning the pages), listening skills, vocabulary, social & emotional development

No comments:

Post a Comment