Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Early Literacy Challenge 3 & 4


Early Literacy Challenge 3: Homemade Play Dough

I know this has been done and redone over and over again in the blogging world, but it is just so good- making homemade play dough with your toddler or preschooler and then cutting out shapes with cookie cutters. It is just so fun, cheap and easy to do. I got my recipe from The Imagination Tree. There are a lot of play dough ideas on this site. Check it out when you have a few minutes.

Every Child Ready to Read (ECRR) Early Literacy Practice: PLAY & TALK
Early Literacy Skills: narrative skills (recipe reading), vocabulary, shape recognition, fine motor skills, creativity


Early Literacy Challenge 4: Alphabet Books

Book CoverToday I went home on my lunch break and after sharing a bowl of soup with my 18 month old, we went upstairs to clean up and read a book. I shared the book Now I Eat My ABC's by Pam Abrams. M loves to eat and she loves to sing. We flipped through the pages and I only read the words and letter she pointed to. She had total control over the read-aloud. When she flipped to the last page, I sang the alphabet song to her. She flipped to the back page two more times and gave me a huge smile every time I sang the song to her. It was great. I love having these lunch time moments with my kids.

ECRR Early Literacy Practice: READ & SING
Early Literacy Skills: phonological awareness, vocabulary, letter knowledge, print awareness (letting Maggie turn the pages of the book)

No comments:

Post a Comment