Friday, May 27, 2011

Flannelboard Friday: Hickety, Pickety, My Black Hen

I have started to make flannelboards at home using fabric crayons and fabric markers. First I found an outline of a hen I like on clipart.com. Then, I printed it on paper and colored it with Crayola fabric crayons. Next I transferred the hen onto felt per the instructions on the crayon box. It didn't turn out quite as bright as I would have liked (I am getting better at it though). So, I added more detail and color with some fabric markers I already had at home.

I love using Hickety, Pickety, My Black Hen in storytime. I am going to use this flannelboard next year for several different storytimes I am putting together: feathered friends, eggs and probably a storytime about colors. I will cut out more eggs for storytime so the toddlers can bring them to the board when we are talking about the different colors of the eggs.

Right now I am using it at home with my son. He loves pulling the eggs off our homemade flannelboard while I talk about the different colors and count how many eggs our black hen lays.

Hickety, Pickety, My Black Hen
Hickety, pickety, my black hen,
She lays eggs for the gentlemen;
Gentlemen come every day
To see what my black hen doth lay;
Sometimes nine and sometimes ten,
Hickety, pickety, my black hen.

1 comment:

  1. Sarah, this is so simple but so effective! I love using Mother Goose rhymes in storytime and I can't wait to add this to one of our library's resource packs. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete