Thursday, July 12, 2012

Flannel Friday: Good-Night, Owl by Pat Hutchins

I am going to do an owl storytime for the toddlers in the fall. I am really excited to use this flannel board for Good-Night, Owl by Pat Hutchins, which is a great book for building narrative skills. The kids can repeat the animal sounds and the repeating phrase "owl tried to sleep." One of the other children's librarians used it this week for one of her summer storytimes and she said it went really well.

Book Cover

I found outlines on Google Images and in Microsoft Clipart for all the animals. I used the same bird outline for all the birds, except the woodpecker. I embellished the felt animals with puff paint and made the tree free hand by cutting out the trunk, branches and leaves separately and then I glued it all together.

Owl tried to sleep...
Owl screeched, screech, screech
and woke everyone up!












Cast of Characters

Tree
owl, bees, squirrel, crows,
woodpecker, starlings,
jays, cuckoo, robin,
sparrows & doves

4 comments:

  1. Your flannel looks great - a work of art. I'm going to have to read this book again, I just don't remember how it goes (now to wait for my reservation to arrive). Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Library Quine ~ it is a work of art! And it has just the right feel of the book!

    Love your creativity of using the same body for the birds but tweaking it to make them look individual. Great idea!

    Thanks for hosting this week. I love that you are using a link tool! I am hoping to have a post to link up before 10 but it has been an extremely crazy week so... who knows! Crossing my fingers! Oh, wait I can't do that or I won't get my post done. ;-) okay, getting off here and getting to work on it.

    Thanks again for hosting!
    Have fun!
    ~K~

    ReplyDelete
  3. This flannel set is so cute! Your owl is especially adorable, and so full of character. I'm unfamiliar with this book (and we don't seem to have it at my library), but I'll be on the look out for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is gorgous!! So time consuming (I'm sure), but so woth it!

    ReplyDelete