Friday, June 10, 2011

Flannelboard Friday: Making Food Storytime

I did a storytime called "Making Food"  this week for one of our summer family storytimes. I made a of visual out of clipart and a flannelboard from Mel's blog (thanks!) to use with two of the rhymes. Here is my storytime outline with the flannelboard templates linked.

Early Literacy Tip: Today we are going to read books about preparing food. Cooking with your kids is a great way to make learning fun at home. Reading the recipe, talking about the different foods, making lists and going to the grocery store are all literacy building skills that will prepare your child for learning how to read.

Rhyme Five Little Kernels (see Mel's Desk)
     Lift baby/child in air on the word POP (bounce to rhyme)
     Clap on the word POP

I made my popcorn pop too hard the first couple of times and all the kearnels fell off the board. I figured it out by the second storytime. Everyone thought it was fun, even with the flying kearnels.
















Rhyme Pat-a-cake, pat-a-cake… (speed up each time for the older kids)



Book Cover
Feast for 10 by Cathryn Falwell

Rhyme Jumping Beans

Sing I'm a Little Teapot


During one of the storytimes a little boy kept saying, "I don't know the Muffin Man..." and the little girl next to him would say each time, "I do. I know a muffin man..."

Book Cover
Bee-bim Bop! By Linda Sue Park

Rhyme Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes

Sing Mix a Pancake

Book Cover
The Cazuela that the Farm Maiden Stirred by Samantha R. Vamos
I made a visual to go with this story, but I didn't end up using it for the storytime. It is a picture of each animal, person and thing in the book with the English and Spanish word. Feel free to use the pdf I made.

Hand out shakers and shake to Laurie Berkner’s I Know a Chicken on CD Whaddya Think of That

Extra Books

Book Cover
To Market, To Market by Anne Miranda

Book Cover
Happy Belly, Happy Smile by Rachel Isadora

Book Cover
Soup Day by Melissa Iwai

No comments:

Post a Comment